Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Is it possible for a person to claim child abuse for spanking a child?

I was at a park with my son, age 8, when he started misbehaving. I gave him several chances to straighten up, as I am a lenient father. Finally, the final straw was pulled and I gave my son 3-4 small swats on the rear. I would never strike my child hard, even more so not hard enough to bruise or hurt him. But I do spank hard enough to let them know they were in the wrong. A mother saw this happen and thought I was beating my child. She threatened to call the police, saying she knew my child, my wife, and where I lived. I just want to know if I was in the wrong.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    This is a very controversial topic. There is no law against corporal punishment; but many social workers think it is wrong and try to get people in trouble for it.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 6/20/2013
    Matthew R. Schutz | MatthewR. Schutz, Esq
    P.O.Box 325
    Three Bridges, NJ 08887
    (908) 391-5399
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey - Replied: 6/18/2013
    Seth Benjamin Cobin | Seth B. Cobin, Attorney at Law
    310 4th Ave. S., Suite 1050
    Minneapolis, MN 55415
    (612) 338-5634
    Under Minnesota law, you have the right to discipline your child with reasonable force. Under the facts you described, if you didn't leave any bruises, you did not violate the law.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota - Replied: 6/18/2013
    Thomas E. Gates | Gates' Law, PLLC
    651 Strander Blvd., Suite 209
    Tukwila, WA 98188-2953
    (253) 332-7899
    You are permitted to discipline your child within reasonable terms, e.g., no bruising or welts.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 6/18/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    Yes. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 6/18/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.