Submit ZIP Code

Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Is it illegal to make threats over email?

This guy I used to be friends with emailed me saying he was going to kick my @$$, calling me vulgar names, and I'd better not show my face around him or else, very threatening. This stems from a time we went out and I took his keys away because he was drunk and was causing a scene, he didn't like that and tried to assault me then, we haven't been friends since, now he's emailing me. Do I call the police and will they take it seriously?

    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    You can file a police report, since this can be considered a terrorist threat. Whether the police will investigate is up to them.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 5/2/2013
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley | Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    7626 E. Jordan Cove
    Houston, TX 77055-5053
    (713) 222-1220
    The closest possible charge is terroristic threat but it does not fit because there is no threat of "imminent bodily injury".
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 5/2/2013
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    74-075 El Paseo, Suite A-14
    Palm Desert, CA 92260
    (760) 779-9666
    If the threat is immediate, unconditional, and the opportunity exists to accomplish the threat, then it could be a criminal violation.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 5/2/2013
    Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    It would not hurt to print out the e-mail(s) in question and take to the police department. ?It could be interpreted as an assault. ?Of course, the police have the discretion to file or reject the charges, and may tell you to wait until he takes some further action.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 5/2/2013
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    Marshall Tauber | Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    39520 Woodward Ave., Suite 230
    Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
    (877) 682-8237
    You will be advised by the police to go to the local circuit court and fill out an application & petition for a PPO (Personal Protection Order) once you have one of those then the police will come to your aid if the guy continues to harass you.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 5/2/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

PAID ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: THIS WEB SITE IS A GROUP ADVERTISEMENT AND THE PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS ARE INCLUDED BECAUSE THEY PAY AN ADVERTISING FEE. It is not a lawyer referral service or prepaid legal services plan. Total Criminal Defense is not a law firm. Your request for contact will be forwarded to the local lawyer who has paid to advertise in the ZIP code you provide. Total Criminal Defense does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who participates in the network. It does not make any representation and has not made any judgment as to the qualifications, expertise or credentials of any participating lawyer. No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. The information contained herein is not legal advice. Any information you submit to Total Criminal Defense may not be protected by attorney-client privilege. All photos are of models and do not depict clients. All case evaluations are performed by participating attorneys. An attorney responsible for the content of this Site is Kevin W. Chern, Esq., licensed in Illinois with offices at 25 East Washington, Suite 510, Chicago, Illinois 60602. To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here or call 866-200-8052.

FLORIDA ONLY: Total Criminal Defense is considered a lawyer referral service in the state of Florida under the Florida Rules of Professional Conduct. By all other standards, Total Criminal Defense is a group advertisement and not a lawyer referral service.

If you live in Florida, Mississippi, Missouri, New York or Wyoming, please click here