Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Is it illegal to kill yourself if you’ve been diagnosed with a untreatable disease?

I was told I have 9 months to live. I don't want to anymore. Will my family get in trouble for my actions. Like, if it's illegal, will they not get my insurance benefits?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Joel M. Lutwin | Lutwin & Lutwin, LLP
    401 Broadway
    New York, NY 10013
    (212) 431-5757
    Life insurance policies usually have a provision that excludes coverage for suicides-what you really should do is go to Sloan Kettering for a consult-they may be able to save you.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 3/14/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    Sorry to hear about your situation. Sadly, I do not know how your insurance policy would handle distributing insurance proceeds after a suicide. As for your family getting in trouble, as long as they do not assist you in this act, they should be all right. You should check with your insurance carrier about what voids your policy.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 3/14/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.