Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Is it a crime to use someone else’s name for employment?

I have a felony and a couple of misdemeanors on my record and that makes it so hard for me to find work. I messed up. I used my sister's social security number inorder to get a job and put food on my table. Is this something that I can go to jail for and get into serious trouble? I am being contacted by authorities.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Peter Goldscheider | Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    438 Cambridge Ave. Suite 250
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (650) 323-8296
    Yes, it can be. I would retain an experienced criminal law specialist before you speak to anyone in law enforcement.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 5/1/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    You do not want to talk to the authorities.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/30/2013
    Jared C. Winter | Law Office of Jared C. Winter
    385 Grand Avenue
    Oakland, CA 94610
    (510) 903-8090
    Using another person's SSN and name is fraud. You certainly could get in to trouble for this. Do not talk to the authorities. You are not obligated to talk to them. Hire an attorney if you can afford to. If not, wait to see if charges are ever filed. If they do file charges, then go to your court date and ask the judge to appoint the public defender.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/30/2013
    Eric Sterkenburg | Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
    16478 Beach Boulevard, No. 329
    Westminster, CA 92683
    (562) 477-6940
    What you are doing is called identity theft. This is serous.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/30/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Yes, it is. If you are being contacted by the authorities, you need to contact an attorney immediately.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/30/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.