Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Is almost 10 months considered unconstitutional for an undercover sting for enticement of a minor?

My husband's trial took almost 10 months after many seemingly unnecessary continuances by the federal government. He had an ankle bracelet and was under house arrest this whole time. The case was pretty simple: an undercover sting for enticement of a minor. So there were no witnesses just the undercover detective. The prosecutor altered the online chat by typing it out instead of just printing the chat in real time to make it look worse (they also removed all the emoticons that were only used by the detective). The whole trial hinged on whether he knew it was a sting (he did) and the jurors would have seen that if they had got to listen to the interview after his arrest. The prosecutor decided at the last minute to omit the interview from evidence. My husband did this to get help with severe childhood abuse issues (he thought they would assign mandatory counseling and get probation- he had no idea how serious this was in the federal side). I have actually heard that at the state level that they throw out the strings as being illegal. As he put it he had too much foolish pride to admit we both needed help. I truly believe he would have never done anything with a minor (had it been a real person). The case was originally a state case, but was taken over by the federal government. He has no substance addictions, and has only been arrested once his whole life, and that was deferred. So now for he is facing a minimum mandatory 10 years. This punishment certainly doesn't fit the crime. The judge can't take into account all the facts, but instead has his hands tied. My husband is being held in custody and is supposed to be sentenced on August 22. Help! is there anything else we can do?
Have his constitutional rights been violated? Taking so long to go to trial, and altering crucial evidence and omitting other crucial evidence?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    James Elliot McIntosh | Law Offices of James Elliot McIntosh
    419 Main Street
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648
    (714) 742-9572
    If your husband's offer is 10 years, your husband is lying to you about what he did. Hire an attorney to help him.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 6/13/2013
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    10 months is not a long time to go to trial. I have client waiting 4 years to go to trial.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 6/11/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 6/10/2013
    Michael E. Hendrickson | Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
    211 North Union Street
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    (703) 838-5577
    File an appeal of the trial court's decision to the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond (if he hasn't already waived his right to do so).
    Answer Applies to: Virginia - Replied: 6/10/2013
    James Falk | Bush Law Group
    1 Broad Street
    Charleston, SC 29401
    (843) 300-1047
    There is one item that you need to investigate before sentencing, as if you do not raise it, you would be deemed to have waived it. In Federal Court, unlike state Court, there is the Federal Speedy trial Act, which requires for all people charged with a felony in federal court be tried 70 days from the date of indictment. There are numerous exceptions to the act, and various reasons why certain days can be excluded counting toward the 70 day Trial Clock. AUSA's rarely violate this provision and are able to show cause for excluding certain days, however, it does occasionally happen.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina - Replied: 6/10/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.