Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

If my public defender didn’t tell me I was offered a plea bargain and I was convicted, can I opt for that plea?

My attorney neglected to tell me that the state was offering me a plea bargain if I plead guilty to my charges. The plea would have been less in the long run had I known, however I did not and went through the case "normally". I was found guilty of my charges and the penalties were more severe. Due to my attorney not informing me of this plea bargain, is there any way I can accept the plea agreement now?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    The jury trial nullified the plea offer. The conviction nullified the plea offer. You cannot accept the plea offer.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 4/23/2013
    Samuel Harrison | Harrison & Harrison
    P.O. Box 88
    Lawrenceville, GA 30046
    (770) 963-3421
    There is a recent U.S. Supreme Court case on that very point and it is very helpful to you. The Court said that an attorney's failure to inform the client of a plea offer from the state is ineffective assistance of counsel. You need to contact someone very soon and raise this issue.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 4/16/2013
    Patrick Mahaney | Law Office of Patrick Mahaney
    8244 Old Federal Road
    Montgomery, AL 36117
    (334) 277-3974
    No, the case is over, but you can file a Rule 32 petition for ineffective assistance of counsel. If the trial court grants the Rule 32 petition, you may be subject to re-sentencing. Your best course of action is to seek the assistance of a good criminal defense lawyer to assist you. Further, your situation is a very good example of why you should never use a "public defender" or "court appointed lawyer" to assist you. Only a retained attorney will give you 100% effort.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 4/15/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    How do you know you were offered a better deal? ?Maybe when the PD approached you and said to plead guilty, you insisted on having a trial without knowing what the offer had been. People often frame things to blame others for their foolishness in refusing to plead guilty. The offer, I would guess, is now "off the table", as you took up the court's time and were found guilty anyhow.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 4/15/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.