Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

If my case was dismissed, will it still be on my record?

Two years ago, I was charged with misdemeanor theft and had to go to court. My case ended up being dismissed. I am now applying to medical school and they are asking me if I have ever been convicted of a crime. Do I have to say yes? If they run a check, will this show up?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 5/26/2013
    Maurice Ross | Barton Barton & Plotkin
    420 Lexington Avenue
    New York, NY 10170
    (973) 896-7190
    If your case was dismissed, you were not convicted. Further, your case file should be sealed if the case was dismissed. Sometimes the case files are not properly sealed. It is often necessary for someone in your position to retain legal counsel to file a petition to seal your file. You should retain legal counsel to investigate your specific case.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 5/17/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    This is NOT a conviction if it was dismissed. You can answer no. If they find it then go to the court and get a copy of the dismissal.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 5/15/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    If your case was dismissed, then you were never convicted and you should answer "no" to any conviction question. However, I am assuming that at the time, you were arrested. If you are asked if you were ever arrested, you need to answer "yes" and then explain that your case was dismissed. On a background check, depending on how in-depth the check is, the arrest will show up. However, if you were never convicted, there will be no record of a conviction. I hope this answers your questions.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 5/14/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    Information about expungement is available on the forms tab for District Court at
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 5/14/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.