Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

If items were stolen from my work, should I take lie detector test?

I work in a major retail store and over the weekend, a bunch of stuff got stolen (TVs, Blu Rays, Gaming Consoles). The police want me to come in for a lie detector. Even though I'm innocent, I'm worried bout me getting worked up and having them give me some bogus charge. Can I refuse? What's going to happen if i refuse?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Sarkis Jacob Babachanian | Babachanian | Law
    3460 Ocean View Boulevard
    Glendale, CA 91208-3311
    (818) 500-0678
    Yes you can refuse. If the police had anything meaningful on you they would have arrested you by now, so anything you give them is icing on the cake for them. Resist the urge to talk. It's best to have a lawyer do the talking for you. Yes, there might be work consequences, but the priority is that you should not say anything to anyone on the criminal law issues or you an land in hot water even when innocent. Spend a few hundred bucks for the peace of mind only a lawyer can bring. I can help you get rid of this dark crowd over your head.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    You have the right to refuse to talk to the police and that includes a lie detector test. If the police don't have the evidence they will not be able to charge you. You do not want to talk to the police and give them a statement which they twist into guilty admissions. If the police have the evidence they probably would have charged you without asking for a lie detector. DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE. HIRE A LAWYER
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
    Terry Nelson | Nelson & Lawless
    2134 Main St., #130
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648
    (714) 960-7584
    No one can compel you to take the polygraph against your will. But, in general, unless an employee is civil service, in a union, or has a written employment contract, they are an 'at will' employee that can be disciplined or terminated any time for any reason, with or without cause, explanation or notice. If you are actually innocent, taking it and passing might keep your job. It might also keep the DA from filing criminal charges if you pass, BUT if it isn't already too late, take a little free advice: exercise the 5th Amendment right to SHUT UP and do NOT talk to police or anyone about the case except with and through an attorney. Consult with counsel before saying or doing anything with police. When questioned, arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a test, search or statement be used against you, can you be convicted, and what can you do? While this isn't a 'capital case', it certainly carries potential jail, so handle it right. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against police and an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney who does.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
    Mark A. Broughton | Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    2445 Capital Street
    Fresno, CA 93721
    (559) 233-5333
    Yes, you can refuse to but your employment may be conditioned on your full cooperation. I seriously doubt that the police are actually going to give you a polygraph; they are inadmissible in court and very unreliable. They probably just want to see if you are willing to do one (inference of innocence). But, if you decide to do this you should talk to an attorney and decide if you should go and if so, whether or not the attorney should go with you.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    You can and shiuld refuse to take the tedt and.shiulf not talk to anyone without an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.