Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

If I’m under 18 and being charged with a felony, what is the punishment?

Some friends and me broke into these people's house and stole stuff. Are we going to go to prison? What should I do?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Eric Sterkenburg | Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
    16478 Beach Boulevard, No. 329
    Westminster, CA 92683
    (562) 477-6940
    If you are 16 or 17, you may be charged as an adult. If so, you will spend time in jail. 460. (a) Every burglary of an inhabited dwelling house, vessel, as defined in the Harbors and Navigation Code , which is inhabited and designed for habitation, floating home, as defined in subdivision (d) of Section 18075.55 of the Health and Safety Code , or trailer coach, as defined by the Vehicle Code , or the inhabited portion of any other building, is burglary of the first degree. 461. Burglary is punishable as follows: (a) Burglary in the first degree: by imprisonment in the state prison for two, four, or six years. 462. (a) Except in unusual cases where the interests of justice would best be served if the person is granted probation, probation shall not be granted to any person who is convicted of a burglary of an inhabited dwelling house or trailer coach. If you are charged as a minor, you may get time in Juvie or probation and home arrest.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/27/2013
    Terry Nelson | Nelson & Lawless
    2134 Main St., #130
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648
    (714) 960-7584
    Sounds like you face several felonies with prison time. You'll learn the actual charge[s] filed and any enhancements, priors, or violations alleged, and get copies of all the police reports and prosecutors evidence when appearing for arraignment at the first court hearing. The charges actually filed by the prosecutor will determine how much time could potentially be imposed. In California, if convicted of any felony, you potentially face one or more years in prison, plus fines; on any misdemeanor, you potentially face up to 12 months in jail, plus fines. Priors and strikes will add formal penalty enhancements and affect the prosecutor and judge attitude toward you. When questioned, arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a test, search or statement be used against you, can you be convicted, and what can you do? No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or elsewhere are going to effectively help in a legal defense. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney who does, who will try to get a dismissal, charge reduction, diversion, programs, or other decent outcome through motions, plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/26/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    If you are being charged with a felony, you should hire an attorney as soon as possible. If you cannot afford one, you should ask the court to appoint a public defender to represent you. Depending on exactly what you are being charged with, (and I am assuming that it is probably burglary) you are looking at a potential jail sentence of 1 to 3 years minimum.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/26/2013
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    You need a lawyer. Depending on what your record is and if you've been on probation for the maximum punishment is 6 years at what used to be called the Youth Authority. You probably won't go there unless you have a history, but you could be put in a camp, or a place like rites of passage which is a wilderness placement mi les away from your home and any city.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/26/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.