Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

If I’m going to plead guilty to a DUI, do I need an attorney?

I made a mistake. I don't have the time and money for an attorney and a possible trial. If I just plead guilty on my own, how bad will that be?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    If you are indigent, and that seems likely, you will have a public defender who will handle the case. he will try to get a DWAI violation if possible. The fact that you do not know that is troubling. What you do not know will hurt you in life.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 3/9/2013
    Richard B. Jacobson | Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC
    Suite 301
    Madison, WI 53703
    (608) 204-5990
    This depends on whether your new OWI (=DUI) if your first or a subsequent conviction. A first OWI can be expensive, but it does not carry jail time as part of the penalty. Second and later offenses carry mandatory jail time, and the kind of deal you make depends on how much alcohol was in your system, whether there was any really really bad driving, whether anyone was hurt, etc. You ought to consult a lawyer at least once, to get some orientation toward what you may be facing. Apart from jail, there are stiff fines, an Alcohol and Other Drug Assessment, the cost of an occupational license, and increased costs of automobile insurance for a few years.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin - Replied: 1/20/2013
    Cynthia Henley | Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    7626 E. Jordan Cove
    Houston, TX 77055-5053
    (713) 222-1220
    Most courts will not allow you to proceed without a lawyer unless you are able to demonstrate the ability to represent yourself properly. Moreover, if you plead guilty without having a lawyer review the case, you will never know if it is defensible.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 1/19/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    You could lose you license for an extended period of time, as well as serve some time in jail. Also, the stigma of a conviction on your record will prevent you from obtaining a slew of good jobs. Make time for an attorney, and if unable to pay for private counsel, ask the court to appoint you a public defender. Consider this an investment in your future, which could turn ugly if you do not take this seriously.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 1/19/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Usually for a 1st time DUI conviction, there is a 4 to 6 months license suspension, but you may be eligible for a restricted license (to and from school and/or work). If your blood alcohol level is above .20 then there is a 10 month restriction, as well as other enhancements for excessive alcohol. Fines from $390 to $1,000 plus penalty assessments and court costs which beings to the total to about $2,000.00. Your car may be impounded for up to 6 months. Up to 3 year optional ignition interlock device installed on your car. 96 hours to 6 months jail sentence, at least 48 hours of which must be continuance. If you have had a prior DUI within the preceding 10 years, it could be charged as felony with between 1 year and 3 year jail sentence. Depending on the County where the arrest occurred, generally a 1st time DUI offender, with a good attorney, will do little, if any, jail time. However, the defendant will need to jump through some hoops and will be on informal probation from 3 to 5 years. The courts usually order that the defendant pay a fine and penalty assessments which amounts to approximately $1,800.00 plus various other court costs and fees, and either community service or community labor. In addition the defendant must enroll and complete a DUI program. Some courts also require that the defendant participate in a HAM (Hospital and Morgue) Program, MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) Program and have their license suspended. Some courts also require an interlocking device be placed on the Defendant's car, although they can, and sometimes do, defer this to DMV. This is what you are looking at. I suggest that you retain an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/18/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.