Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

If I unknowingly drove my friend from a crime scene, am I aiding and abetting?

The other night, a friend and I went to the local gas station to buy some cigarettes. I stayed in the car, keeping it running through the cold weather, while he went in to make the purchase. He was back in the car before I knew it. He calmly told me he was going to be late getting home and we should go quickly. I left quickly and we returned to his home. Little did I know, he actually had stolen the cigarettes from the gas station. He was caught on camera and the police arrested him. Are the police going to come to me for aiding in his crime?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John Hugger | Attorney & Counselor at Law
    3002 Evergreen Parkway
    Evergreen, CO 80437-0877
    (303) 670-1043
    Perhaps. Proving that you had not known what he had done in the store is your biggest hurdle if the police contact you. Consult a criminal law attorney IMMEDIATELY! - and take him or her with you if the police request to talk to you about the incident.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado - Replied: 4/24/2013
    Jason Savela | Connell-Savela
    250 Arapahoe Avenue, Suite 301
    Boulder, CO 80302
    (303) 865-4545
    Possible, but doubtful. If it was a robbery with a weapon, then you would be charged you do not have to talk to police and should just ask for a lawyer. If you want to make a statement, write it out and say only that. Do not let the cops talk you into saying you knew friend was going to shoplift
    Answer Applies to: Colorado - Replied: 4/24/2013
    Brian Karpe | Baram, Tapper & Gans, LLC
    3 Regency Drive
    Bloomfield, CT 06006
    (860) 242-2221
    You are looking at the wrong question, the real question is whether the state's attorney can prove beyond a reasonable doubt whether you aided and abetted your friend. The police can arrest you if a judge signs an arrest warrant. From the facts you presented, the state will have a difficult, not impossible, obstacle in proving your guilt. There are a lot of factors going your way that need to be explored. I recommend you speak to an experienced criminal defense attorney about your case, before you are arrested (if that is what will happen). The attorney will be able to discuss this case and elicit more details from you than should be posted on a public forum. Speaking of which, you do not want to discuss the facts of this case, and any possible defense, on a public forum such as this as anything you say can be used against you in court. Discuss your case in your attorney's office.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut - Replied: 4/24/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.