Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

If I turn in stolen property, can I be arrested for it?

I have recently found that I am in possession of stolen goods. When I purchased the goods, I was unaware that they were stolen. I want to return the stolen goods to the police but I'm afraid I may be arrested or mistaken for the person who stole them.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Mark A. Manning | Mark A. Manning, PC.
    213 Paw Paw Street
    Paw Paw, MI 49079
    (269) 657-3191
    You could be if a case could be made that you Received and Concealed Stolen property. That crime in Michigan is defined as: (1) A person shall not buy, receive, possess, conceal, or aid in the concealment of stolen, embezzled, or converted money, goods, or property knowing, or having reason to know or reason to believe, that the money, goods, or property is stolen, embezzled, or converted. It is a serious crime. If you knew or had reason to know the property was stolen you could have a problem. That type of knowledge could be direct, i.e. Joe said here this property is stolen take it or inferred, i.e. you buy a genuine Rolex for $50. Also how long did you hold onto the property after you knew it was stolen. Of course the police see folks all the time who when their investigation gets close suddenly decide to turn thing over. I would retain an Attorney to negotiate the turn over of the property and avoid discussing the matter with police. He or she may be able to negotiate immunity of some form to protect you and protect you from saying or doing anything which maybe misconstrued.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/8/2013
    John F Brennan | Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    24001 Greater Mack
    St Clair Shores, MI 48080
    (586) 778-0900
    You can hire an attorney to turn them in for you. The attorney, under ethical rules, will not be allowed to disclose the source of the goods without you permission.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/8/2013
    Robert W. Eutsler | Eutsler Law Firm
    9219 Katy Freeway, Ste 220
    Houston, TX 77024
    (713) 464-6461
    Hire a lawyer to handle the transfer.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 4/8/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    It all depends on where you bought the goods, from whom, when and how you found out they were stolen, your relationship, if any, from the person you bought the goods from, along with other questions. If you go to the police, they will question you, ask many questions. If you absolutely are involved in no way, if the stolen goods have been reported stolen to the police, and there is no link to any involvement, generally the police will want the person involved. Without knowing all facts one cannot say whether you will or will not be implicated. If you go and the questioning is focusing on wrongdoing on your part, you can exercise your right to be silent and an attorney. It is unclear what goods you have and whether they are traceable. You can always have an attorney with you at the get go. Being charged with possession of stolen property could occur if down the road you are caught.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/8/2013
    Mark Thiessen | Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    1017 Heights Blvd.
    Houston, TX 77008
    (713) 428-2322
    Give it to an attorney and let the attorney turn it in for you.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 4/8/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.