Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

If I remand myself after a drug charge, how long will I be in jail?

I was arrested for being under the influence, possession of a controlled substance, and paraphernalia. I was released and told to do Drug Court but I live in another county and the court won't let me transfer. I can't afford drug court and travel.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Joseph A. Katz | Law Office of Joseph A. Katz
    40485 Murrieta Hot Springs Rd
    Murrieta, CA 92563
    (951) 695-1945
    There's no way to tell. There are so many variables. You could technically serve up to three years in the County Jail, half-time eligible. Do you really think that will happen on a simple methamphetamine possession charge? It's not likely, but different jurisdictions (Counties) handle matters differently. It's possible that you won't serve any actual jail time, at all. Why don't you put the case on calendar and speak with the Public Defender? Ask to have them appointed. Some counties appoint them in almost every case.? Some are mystifyingly stingy about their appointment. You say you were given "Drug Court". I wonder why you did not qualify for PC 1000, 'Drug Diversion'. Do you know? Why weren't you offered PC 1210.1, 'Prop. 36' participation? There is a good chance that you could be rereferred to the rehabilitation program. On the other hand, if you think you would just be setting yourself up for failure, maybe you should just go do straight time. Do you really think that would be best?!
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 8/1/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.