Submit ZIP Code

Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

If I have a warrant out for my arrest, should I have an attorney with me when I turn myself in?

I found out there is a warrant out for my arrest for assault and after a bar fight but no one was arrested that night. I will turn myself in but don't know if its ok to go by myself or if I should get an attorney first. What's best for not staying in jail too long?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    You should retain an attorney to arrange the surrender and appear with you at the arraignment so that you will have a better chance of an ROR release.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/24/2013
    George E Downing. Jr. | Downing Law Firm
    5700 Florida Street
    Baton Rouge, LA 70806
    (225) 924-1630
    Never go alone. An attorney can help to get you released or possibly getting your contempt sentence reduced.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana - Replied: 1/28/2013
    Cynthia Henley | Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    7626 E. Jordan Cove
    Houston, TX 77055-5053
    (713) 222-1220
    You can either make a bond through a bondsman or post a cash bond. You will be taken in, fingerprinted, photographed, and released. You will need a lawyer, though.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 1/26/2013
    Gregory Casale | Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    316 Main St, Suite 400
    Worcester, MA 01608
    (508) 752-7500
    Yes you should absolutely have an attorney with you when you surrender yourself on the warrant. It is a serious charge and you certainly need criminal representation. The chances of you going home from the surrender go up tremendously if you appear with the lawyer who will be representing you on the charge (has filed his appearance).
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts - Replied: 1/26/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    An attorney can assist you with trying to have the warrant converted to a summons, bail issues, you value waiting the prosecutions evidence, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, in deciding whether to plea bargain or litigate. If you were convicted, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. You should not make any statements about what did or did not happen. Consider having a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Online posts are not confidential, and if they were discovered by the prosecution, then they might be used in evidence against you.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 1/26/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4 5
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.