Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

If i feel wrong about a deal, can i go back on it?

If I made a deal in a case with my attorney and the prosecuting attorney and I feel wrong about it after making it, can I go back on it? I feel as if the deal made was not made in my best interest by my attorney and want to take it back to hopefully better my odds on the case. Is this possible even though the deal has already been made?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Brian Karpe | Baram, Tapper & Gans, LLC
    3 Regency Drive
    Bloomfield, CT 06006
    (860) 242-2221
    If you entered a plea of guilty or no contest in court and the judge accepted the plea, it will be all but impossible to withdraw your plea. You need judicial permission. That will be difficult to obtain because the judge probably asked you questions ("canvassed") and probably a couple of the questions were to verify that you knew what you were doing, if you had adequate or were satisfied with the legal advice, and if you wanted the court to accept the plea. In light of all that, having second thoughts is not enough to have your plea withdrawn. If you have not entered a plea of guilty or no contest in court, then you do not have to enter a plea to accept the deal.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut - Replied: 8/22/2013
    Anderson Walsh PLLC
    COEUR D ALENE, ID 83814
    (208) 665-5658
    Generally, the court will liberally allow a plea to be withdrawn BEFORE sentencing. Once you are sentenced, that is not the case. So, if you are waiting for sentencing, you should immediately contact your lawyer to discuss your various options.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho - Replied: 8/22/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.