Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

If I am caught with any amount of cocaine, what possible charges could I face in a court of law?

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who was recently picked up for dealing cocaine out of his house. He is currently sitting in jail awaiting the next leg of his trial. I wanted to know what possible infractions are in place, what he can face as far as time goes and lastly what possible costs are affiliated to these types of cases?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Larry Sandefer | Sandefer Law Firm
    4625 East Bay Drive, Suite 203
    Clearwater, FL 33764
    (727) 726-5297
    It could be various charges. Also, it can be different if Federal versus State charges. Simple Possession of cocaine in state court is a third degree felony, maximum 5 years prison depending on prior record. Probation is available. Sale or delivery of cocaine is a second degree felony up to 15 years prison. Possession or sale of over 4 grams of coke is trafficking and has a minimum mandatory prison sentence, which goes higher as the amount of coke goes up. Costs and fees depend on the number of charges as well as whether it is a trafficking or a sale.
    Answer Applies to: Florida - Replied: 4/24/2013
    R. Jason de Groot | R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    Deltona, FL 32728-5775
    (386) 337-8239
    In a court of law your friend will be faced with the crime of possession of a controlled substance. He will probably also be charged with the intent to distribute, or perhaps traffickin. You did not mention the amount that he was charged with. This is not an infraction, it is a crime. It could be either a 3rd degree felony, or a 2nd degree felony. These carry 5 to 15 years possible prison sentences. He could also be charged with a 1st degree felony and might be sentenced to 30 years in prison. Without knowing the precise details, it is not easy to guess. We need to see the police reports and the charging instrument in order to give a more complete answer. Now, since you have taken the time to ask the question, and we have taken the time to answer it, the next time you ask a question on here, please give more details so that a more complete answer can be given. Your friend definitely needs to hire an aggressive criminal defense attorney in your area, and you can help him do that.
    Answer Applies to: Florida - Replied: 4/24/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.