Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

If an officer coerced my son into allowing him to search the car, can we fight this?

My son is young and not too knowledgeable about legal rights, etc. He was hanging out with a girlfriend and got pulled over. Sounds like the cop coerced him into letting him search the trunk, where he found a bottle of alcohol. It doesn't even belong to him. Can we fight this by saying that it wasn't a legal search? It's not like my son was drunk or smelled like booze. He was sober. His girlfriend was sober.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    Sounds like entrapment. Plus if alcohol in trunk unopened the charge needs to be argued. You could have put it there unbeknownst to your son if the car did not belong to him.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 2/2/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    There is the possibility that the search could be declared unreasonable. Why did the cop want to search the car in the first place?
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/31/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    46 Lovejoy Rd
    Andover, MA 01810
    (978) 807-6512
    Depends on the total circumstances and the nature of the coercion.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts - Replied: 1/29/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    A person may challenge search or seizure issues in a suppression hearing, that would be decided by a judge.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 1/29/2013
    Cynthia Henley | Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    7626 E. Jordan Cove
    Houston, TX 77055-5053
    (713) 222-1220
    Hire a lawyer. The officer did not "illegally" coerce him such that it would lead to a suppression. However, if your son kept quiet, it sounds like they may have a proof issue in showing he intentionally and knowingly possessed the alcohol.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 1/28/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.