Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How will previous DUI charges affect my current DUI charge?

I had been charged a few years ago for a DUI and was eventually acquitted and was curious about if that affects the new DUI charge.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Laurence Margolis | Laurence H. Margolis PC
    214 S. Mian Street, Ste. 202
    Ann Arbor, MI 48104
    (734) 929-8485
    It should have no effect on your present charge. Technically, the prosecutor could try and use it to show some prior course of conduct, but with an acquittal I can't see them doing that in your present case.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/26/2013
    Marshall Tauber | Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    39520 Woodward Ave., Suite 230
    Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
    (877) 682-8237
    Your acquittal is not relevant to your current charge and should not be considered but, if you are convicted this time you can bet that the probation department report will make mention of your prior accusation which your attorney should be on the lookout for
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/26/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    If you were acquitted then the old matter will not affect the new matter.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/25/2013
    Cindy Mannon | Cindy Mannon
    Lansing, MI 48912
    (517) 482-1000
    If you were acquitted the law can't enhance your "new" DUI charge; however, the Judge may take your acquittal into consideration when sentencing, even if it is not fair and you won't know about it. I would never admit to a previous charge if you were acquitted. You should buy a copy of your Michigan Master Driving Record to see if they can still see if you were ever arrested for the charge you were acquitted on. It should not even show an arrest, but you won't know until you buy your Mi Master Driving Record from the Secretary of State ($8.00.)
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/25/2013
    Steven Dodge | Steven Dodge
    7960 W. Grand River Ave.
    Brighton, MI 48114
    (810) 220-3916
    A prior offense will mean that your maximum penalty will increase from 93 days in jail to one year in jail. You are much more likely to face time in jail on a second offense. Also, you will face a license revocation rather than merely a suspension. The fines and costs also increase. It's time to get an attorney. Write if you have other questions.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/25/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.