Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How will an underage drinking citation affect my law school application?

I got a citation when I was at a house party for underage drinking. I'm in the process of applying to law school and I'm worried if this will ruin my chances. What sort of checks to they do for admission and how can this possibly affect my applications?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Try to see if you are eligible to get the matter expunged. It may not stop you from getting into law school.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/27/2013
    Jeff Yeh | Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1110
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 446-2495
    You should hire a lawyer, who may even be able to negotiate with the Judge so that the charge is completely dismissed. Then you won't need to worry about it affecting your law school chances.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/27/2013
    Cynthia Henley | Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    7626 E. Jordan Cove
    Houston, TX 77055-5053
    (713) 222-1220
    You must disclose everything. It is unlikely it will have a negative effect on you unless you lie/deny then it will definitely have a negative effect. Lying on a law school application will affect your ability to practice law, too. Again, it is not the act itself, that is very minor. But, a lie will show you are not trustworthy.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 3/27/2013
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    How did you address the citation? Did you plead guilty? It will effect your application, insofar as it demonstrates poor judgement. So, if it is between you and another without poor judgement, who do you think gets in. Curious, did you have an attorney when you plead guilty to the citation? Why not? Was it in the last two years? Maybe an attorney can undo your plea.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 3/27/2013
    Thomas E. Gates | Gates' Law, PLLC
    651 Strander Blvd., Suite 209
    Tukwila, WA 98188-2953
    (253) 332-7899
    You must report the misdemeanor on your application. However, in your letter you can explain how you have grown since then. You also can have your record expunged.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 3/27/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.