Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How much time in jail does a drug sales conviction carry?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    There are a number of drug sales charges and if there was a gun involved the penalties go up. Normal drug sales has a minimum of probation and a top of 4 years in prison.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 11/26/2013
    Eric Sterkenburg | Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
    16478 Beach Boulevard, No. 329
    Westminster, CA 92683
    (562) 477-6940
    Possession of a controlled substance for sale is a violation of California Health and Safety Code section 11351. As a felony, the punishment is 2 years, 3 years, or 4 years in state prison.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 11/26/2013
    Peter Goldscheider | Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    438 Cambridge Ave. Suite 250
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (650) 323-8296
    Depends on the drug and whether state of federal charges. In state court for most 5 years imprisonment is the max unless a large amount.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 11/26/2013
    Mark A. Broughton | Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    2445 Capital Street
    Fresno, CA 93721
    (559) 233-5333
    It depends on the type of drug and some other factors. For example, a simple drug sales in California of marijuana carries a maximum of 3 years as a "county jail felony." For most other drugs it is 4 years, but for PCP it can be 5 years and even up to 9 years. The amount of drugs can also play a part and increase the penalties. The accused's criminal history will also play a part. Consult with a criminal defense attorney who can go over all the facts and circumstances and give you a more complete answer to your question.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 11/25/2013
    John M. Kaman | Kaman Law Office
    360 Ritch Street Suite 201
    San Francisco, CA 94107
    (415) 630-3021
    It depends on the statute under which you were charged. The general statute could get you up to 5 years in state prison (H&S 11352) but there are other statutes that would lessen your exposure. You should retain a lawyer to try to get the charges reduced to simple possession for which you could get a program and probation.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 11/25/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.