Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How long does a misdemeanor stay on your record in Michigan?

I was charged with misdemeanor assault about 8 years ago and I've had a couple of situations recently where people have asked if I've ever committed a crime. Because it was so long ago and because it was a misdemeanor, I've been telling people no. Is this still going to appear?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Yes a criminal record is forever. This is not like driving points that go away after awhile. You have to report yes. Maybe you could get the matter expunged under Michigan law; but you have to petition for it.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/12/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    It probably will. You could file for an expungement if you have not been convicted of anything since and depending on the convictions.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/8/2013
    Steven Dodge | Steven Dodge
    7960 W. Grand River Ave.
    Brighton, MI 48114
    (810) 220-3916
    A conviction, whether it is a misdemeanor or felony, will stay on your record forever unless you take steps to expunge it. Eight years is not that long ago. Unless the court staff failed to input your conviction, it is likely to show up on a records check.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/6/2013
    Marshall Tauber | Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    39520 Woodward Ave., Suite 230
    Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
    (877) 682-8237
    Criminal convictions stay on your record forever unless you only have one. If that is so, you can seek to have that one conviction removed from your record this is called an expungement. The law in Michigan allows a person who has only one conviction to file a motion to set aside that conviction if it is over 5 years old & qualifies for set aside. You should hire an attorney with experience in these matters to see if you qualify & explain the process to you in detail as well as work with you to get the conviction removed. Once that happens you are able to freely answer that you have never been convicted of a crime.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/6/2013
    Michael Dungan | Dungan, Lady, Kirkpatrick & Dungan PLLC
    503 South Jackson Street
    Jackson, MI 49203
    (517) 783-3500
    Convictions do not drop off of your record after a certain amount of time, if it was put on your record, it will stay there, unless it is expunged.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/6/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.