Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How long can they keep someone in jail for violating probation?

If you get arrested and violate your probation, do you just have to serve the rest of the sentence that you had before? Or do they tack on additional time and make you serve a longer jail time?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    If found in violation, then the court may require the probationer to serve in jail all of the time that had previously been suspended. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 4/1/2013
    Steve Freeborn | Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    33400 9th Avenue S. Suite 208
    Federal Way, WA 98003
    (253) 838-4477
    It is up to the judge but generally, thee max is for the remainder of the sentence, unless the probation violation results in new charges.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 4/1/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    You can serve up to the maximum allowed for that crime (Less credit for any time already served.).
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/31/2013
    James A Schoenberger | Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    1008 Yakima Ave Ste 201
    Tacoma, WA 98405
    (253) 444-3111
    PV up to 60 days in jail. If you had a suspended sentence in a misdemeanor case, some or all of the time can be "unsuspended".
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 3/30/2013
    Marshall Tauber | Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    39520 Woodward Ave., Suite 230
    Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
    (877) 682-8237
    Typically that results in serving the balance of the sentence that was originally imposed.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/30/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.