Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How long can an offense committed as a minor hang around to bar you from furthering your education and employment?

18 years ago I was arrested and charged with an assault 4, a verbal assault against a family member. I was a minor at the time. I just recently finished a class to get into the medical profession and was told that I needed to disclose all past criminal charges. I wrote a statement and was told that the statement was not good enough, that I now need a copy of the court documents to verify the information. I cannot take the state exam unless I provide the documents. Why is this relevant? I have been a law abiding citizen since that incident. Does that not count in my favor?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    It is relevant, because you acted like a little shit towards your family less than 10 years ago. IF you treat your family like shit, why would you not treat a client like shit. Maybe you need to be on a construction site, so you can treat the drywall like shit, rather than an elderly patient. Understand? You not acting like a piece of shit in the last 3-4 years does not undo the fact that you acted like a piece of shit. The same way that I cannot rape you, you claim that I should not go to jail, because I have been law abiding for 46 years of my life. Bottom line: You don't think there should be lasting consequences for mistakes. However, in the medical profession, medical mistakes have permanent consequences (i.e. death). If you do not understand that, then you really should not be allowed in.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 11/29/2013
    Jeff Milstein | Milstein Defense Law
    2029 SE Jefferson Street, Suite 101
    Milwaukie, OR 97222
    (503) 880-6757
    You should have it expunged so you never have to disclose it and it won't appear on your record.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon - Replied: 11/25/2013
    John F Brennan | Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    24001 Greater Mack
    St Clair Shores, MI 48080
    (586) 778-0900
    If you are in Michigan get the conviction expunged. As for your statement, you are expected to be a law abiding citizen at all times, and without exception.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 11/25/2013
    Aric Cramer | Cramer Cramer LLC
    249 E. Tabernacle
    St. George, UT 84770
    (435) 627-1565
    In Utah a juvenile charge is considered a civil issue and not reportable on a criminal rap sheet.
    Answer Applies to: Utah - Replied: 11/25/2013
    Jared Austin | Austin Legal Services, PLC
    909 N. Washington Ave.
    Lansing, MI 48906
    (517) 614-1983
    I'm sure it does count but they have their own internal procedures and rules to determine eligibility. It is relevant because they want to know as much about your background as possible to see if you are a good fit for their school. You may be eligible to get it expunged. Contact an expungement attorney in your area to discuss this.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 11/25/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.