Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How does one fix a failure to appear charge?

I recently found that I had a court hearing for a past minor crime that I had committed. Its about 3 days past the date now, and I know for sure that I will be hit with a Failure to Appear charge. How can I go about fixing this charge and show that it was a simple mistake?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Andrea Storey Rogers |
    P.O. Box 21686
    St. Louis, MO 63139
    (314) 724-5059
    There is no way to fix that. You need to hire an attorney to handle this for you, or call the court and see if they have issued a warrant yet. Ask if you can pay the bond and get a new court date. The court will charge you an additional fee for the Failure to Appear charge. There is nothing you or any attorney can do about fixing the Failure to Appear charge. It will not be reduced to a lesser charge or dismissed.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri - Replied: 5/22/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    If you have a good reason for failing to appear, perhaps the court might be persuaded to recall the bench warrant. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 5/21/2013
    A. Bowden Houser | The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
    1007 Hargett Street
    Jacksonville, NC 28540
    (910) 333-9679
    If its a crime minor or not - I'd be more concerned with the bench warrant that was most likely issued. If there was a warrant issued, you don't really have to do anything. You'll get picked up soon, processed, get a bond set and a brand squeaky new court date that hopefully the sheriff's dept has impressed upon you the importance of not blowing off. Oh, and along with the possibility of a nice $200 penalty as well. If there was no warrant issued you may have 20 days to go to the clerks office, explain you missed your court date and if they have time, they will sick you in front of a judge where you will have to stand tall before the man and explain your tardiness. Depending on how good your excuse is, the judge may strike the FTA and set you a new court date or possibly take care of the case right then and there. However, your best bet is to hire an attorney to resolve this for you. If you are the kind of person who misses court dates - you will most likely muck things up if you attempt to handle your own legal work.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina - Replied: 5/21/2013
    Jack L. Moser, Jr. | Jack Moser Law
    107 West Johnstown Road
    Gahanna, OH 43062
    (614) 478-8005
    You should contact a competent attorney immediately, as an order and warrant for the arrest is generally issued in Ohio for the person accused who does not show up for court. A good lawyer should be able to walk you through the process. In some places in Ohio It takes the cooperation of the prosecutor to set aside the failure to appear. But the lawyer should be ready to argue on your behalf even if the prosecutor does not agree. Whether the judge will set the warrant aside depends on many factors that are too many to list here. But the main factors are the past criminal record of the defendant and whether that defendant has a problem appearing for court hearings. As well as the excuse the defendant has for no appearing.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio - Replied: 5/20/2013
    John T. Belton | John T. Belton, Attorney at Law
    2066 West Henderson Rd., Suite 102
    Columbus, OH 43220
    (614) 457-2034
    If you failed to appear for a scheduled criminal court appearance, the court probably has issued a bench warrant for your arrest. If you are stopped by the authorities you will be arrested and placed in jail until you are taken before the court on the original charge. I would suggest that you immediately contact an attorney concerning the warrant and attempt to address the matter before you are arrested.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio - Replied: 5/20/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.