Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How do you drop charges in court?

I want to drop domestic abuse charges against my husband. How do I do that in court? Can I just say it or does an attorney need to file something for me? Court is next Thursday.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    David Akulian | Not Guilty In DC
    10 G St. NE #710
    Washington, DC 20002
    (800) 408-0919
    Once a person calls the police, the only person who can drop the charges is the Prosecutor.
    Answer Applies to: District of Columbia - Replied: 3/13/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    The only person who has the authority to drop criminal charges is the prosecutor. You have no say in that. You can talk to the prosecutor, but he/she will make the final decision.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 3/12/2013
    Vincent C. Machroli | Law Office of Vincent C. Machroli, P.C.
    High Point Plaza
    Hillside, IL 60162-1949
    (708) 449-7400
    Go to court & the prosecutor will have you testify before the judge with a court reporter present that you wish to not proceed with your complaint.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 3/12/2013
    Anderson Walsh PLLC
    COEUR D ALENE, ID 83814
    (208) 665-5658
    You do not have to talk to the prosecutor, law enforcement, or show up to trial without being personally served a valid subpoena. The prosecutor is not your attorney. You should retain an experienced and competent criminal defense attorney to make sure you know what your rights are and to act as your intermediary with the prosecutor. Sometimes, alleged victims are threatened with criminal charges if they refuse to testify to exactly what they stated to the police when the police report was made. So be sure to have a good attorney by your side to protect you and help you try to get the charges dismissed. Unfortunately, once charges are filed it is up to the prosecutor whether or not to dismiss the case, not you.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho - Replied: 3/12/2013
    R. Jason de Groot | R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    Deltona, FL 32728-5775
    (386) 337-8239
    Only the State Attorney can drop charges. The state can prosecute even though you do not want to.
    Answer Applies to: Florida - Replied: 3/12/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.