Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How do I plead indigent?

I have court 9/10/13 and I have no income. I was charged with driving on a suspended license, which I didn't know was suspended at the time. It was suspended because I didn't get sr-22 so I want to know how do I go about pleading indigent?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Steve Freeborn | Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    33400 9th Avenue S. Suite 208
    Federal Way, WA 98003
    (253) 838-4477
    The court will deal with that issue when you go to court on 9/10. If you are determined by the court to be indigent, then the court will appoint you an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 9/4/2013
    Jeff Yeh | Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1110
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 446-2495
    Pleading indigent will do absolutely nothing to help you avoid being convicted for driving with as suspended license. In fact, there are only 2 pleas, guilty or not guilty. There is no such thing as pleading "indigent."
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 9/4/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    You do not plead indigent. You plead not guilty and ask for a court appointed attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 9/4/2013
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    You don't plead indigent. There is no such thing. You plead guilty, not guilty or nolo. No one cares that you are broke. You can ask the judge to appoint an attorney, but traffic citations typically do not get appointed counsel.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 9/4/2013
    Thomas E. Gates | Gates' Law, PLLC
    651 Strander Blvd., Suite 209
    Tukwila, WA 98188-2953
    (253) 332-7899
    You do not plead indigent. You can get a public defender to represent you at the hearing. Since you do not have an income, the fine can be changed to community service hours. Not knowing your license was suspended is not a defense. You knew you did not get the SR-22 insurance and, failing to do so, had consequences.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 9/4/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.