Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How do I get assault charges against my husband dropped?

We got into an argument and I was throwing things and he accidentally tripped me and I fell down the stairs. I guess we were pretty loud because the neighbor called the cops and they came and even though I told them it was an accident, they arrested him. I know the fight got out of hand but I don’t want him to be arrested and in jail. Please help.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Richard Williams | Law Office of Richard Williams
    301 Government Street, Suite 104
    Mobile, AL 36602
    (251) 272-3765
    Only the prosecutor, with the approval of the court, can the charges be dismissed. The court can not compel you to testify against your husband if you exert your spousal privilege. If the prosecutor can prove the charges without your testimony the court can go forward with the prosecution and you husband could be found guilty.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/5/2013
    Cynthia Henley | Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    7626 E. Jordan Cove
    Houston, TX 77055-5053
    (713) 222-1220
    You cannot dismiss charges. You can make your opinion and thoughts known to the prosecutor, and you can help his lawyer by cooperating with the lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 1/2/2013
    Craig Andersen | Andersen Law PLLC
    10000 NE 7th Ave Suite 330B
    Vancouver, WA 98685
    (360) 397-0111
    All you can do is testify to the truth. The prosecutor has sole authority to proceed with charges whether you agree or not.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 1/2/2013
    Edward D. Dowling IV | Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
    132 Foxdale Lane
    Port Jefferson, NY 11777
    (631) 509-0662
    I would need further information to answer better. Generally the prosecuting attorney has the discretion to drop the charges or not. You and/or your attorney should talk to the prosecuting attorney about dropping the charges.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 1/2/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    Too late. Police were called and responded. I assume they observed injuries. It is up to prosecutor and not you to drop the charges.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/1/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.