Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How do I fight a false charge that I got arrested for 3 years after the so called incident took place?

I was charged with indecent liberty with a minor in 2007. After 3 years of being a single father and working and everything else and then going back and forth to the police station answering questions and claiming my innocence after 2 months I heard nothing. I thought it was over. In October 2010 I was arrested and charged. After all that time if I was guilty why now arrest me then why wait. I had a paid lawyer that was going to fight it but I ran out of money. So I was given a pubic defender. He told me you're not going to win so don't even try to fight it. Even with the discovery in my favor that I had read. With me never being in trouble I was scared and I took a non contest plea because I told the judge and DA I did not do it. It was just her trying to get even with me. Even the judge was concerned because if I was charged with this why did they drop it down so low. Long story short how do I go about fighting this and getting my name clear? I have lost so much and can't even get a job because of this charge. Please help me. There is so much more to the story but its hurt to write about it.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    A. Bowden Houser | The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
    1007 Hargett Street
    Jacksonville, NC 28540
    (910) 333-9679
    Your story is full of inconsistencies. Lawyers don't say things like "you're not going to win so don't even try to fight it" if as you say, the discovery is in your favor. Especially, a public defender - they don't make any money if you don't fight it - so it would have been in your attorneys best interest to encourage you to fight even if you really did have a bad case. So there had to be at least some evidence indicating that you were guilty, even if you actually were not guilty. You don't indicate what you ultimately pled no contest to but it is not at all unusual for a DA to reduce the charges in a weak case as an incentive for you to enter a plea and save court resources. The time to have fought this was back then and has now past - you had that opportunity and instead you chose to enter into a plea bargain with the state. As part of that plea you would have been asked by the judge in open court if you enter that plea of your own free will, fully realizing what you are doing. The judge would not have accepted your plea if you answered any other way but yes. So basically now, you want to go back to court explain that you lied when you entered your plea and get a second bite at the apple? It may be possible but its going to be extremely expensive. In the future, if you are innocent don't enter into a plea and if you do, don't whine about it later. You either man up, go to trial and roll the dice or you tuck tail and enter a plea - you shouldn't get to do both.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina - Replied: 6/1/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Unfortunately, if you entered a plea, even a no contest plea, there is probably very little you can do at this point in time. As I am sure you were told by the judge, a no contest plea is the same as a guilty plea in criminal court. You may want to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney who specializes in post-conviction relief for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your case. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 5/31/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    If you have been convicted of the charge, pursuant to a plea deal, you probably had 30 days after entry of the plea to vacate it and demand a trial. I would guess that that period ran our long ago. Investigations sometimes do take a long time before a decision is reached to file charges and to pursue them, so 3 years may not be unusually long. However, it may benefit you to consult with an appellate lawyer or your State's appellate defender's office to see if any kind of post-sentencing motion can be brought before the trial court, or is any possible appeal might be mounted in your defense. It may be too long, so the chances are limited for success, but it will not hurt you to try to do it this way.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 5/31/2013
    Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    74-075 El Paseo, Suite A-14
    Palm Desert, CA 92260
    (760) 779-9666
    Unfortunately, a no contest plea has the same legal significance as a guilty plea and virtually impossible to undue without some irregularity with the plea. Without more information it would be difficult to know if there are any grounds. Also you left out the conviction date which is important you only have so long to appeal.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 5/31/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 5/31/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.