Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How can I re-open a case that I plead guilty in because my attorney didn’t give me all the correct information?

I was told to plead guilty by my attorney who said he will ask for probation. By doing so that has got me in a position of my status, because my attorney did not ask me about my legal status. So I am asking for help to reopen the case.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    If you are not a citizen and the judge and your attorney did not tell you that the conviction could effect your immigration status you can probably withdraw your plea under the Padilla v. Kentucky Supreme Court decision. That does not mean you should go to trial instead of taking the plea, it means that you need a good lawyer to advise you if you should proceed to trial or keep your plea.If the judge and your lawyer did not ask you about whether your lawyer discussed the immigration consequences they were both wrong and you were probably in a small town where the judges and lawyers are not as experienced.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/20/2013
    Seth D. Schraier | The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
    3647 Broadway, Suite 4G
    New York, NY 10031
    (914) 907-8632
    You need to file what's called a "Motion to Vacate" which is a motion made to the court to vacate the guilty plea made. Because you were not informed about what implications there might be by pleading guilty in regards to your legal status, you may have a case to get it vacated. You have to understand, however, that vacating the plea only removes your guilty plea and puts you back in the position of having to defend the original case. So if you proceed to trial on the original charges, and are found guilty, you may suffer from a tougher punishment than the one sentenced as part of your original plea. You should speak to an attorney about filing the motion to vacate as there is a very specific process that must be followed in order for it to be heard.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/6/2013
    Gregory R. LaMarca | Gregory R. LaMarca, P.C.
    5440 Merrick Road
    Massapequa, NY 11758
    (516) 797-8686
    In New York it is called a CPL 440 motion.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/5/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.