Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How can I help a friend who was convicted of capital murder in an unfair trial?

I have a friend who got charged with capital murder and got a life sentence without parole but I, as well as his family and friends don't think that he got a fair trial and don't think that capital murder was even what he should of been charged with. It was 5 guys all friends went to a guys house to "buy" marijuana but were actually there to rob him. It was never their intention to kill him. My friend along with 2 of the other guys where outside waiting for the guy that went inside and shot the victim. My friend and the 4 other guys never went in the house, but my friend and the shooter both got life sentences without parole while the two that where standing next to my friend outside the home got 5 years probation and the driver who never got off the truck got 25 years in prison. Something here is not right and I would like someone to help my friend with his case.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    74-075 El Paseo, Suite A-14
    Palm Desert, CA 92260
    (760) 779-9666
    You need to consult an attorney and determine what remedies are available. There are a number of issues which must be analysed to see if anything can be done.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/10/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    Under the felony-murder doctrine, a person who kills another while in the commission of a forceable felony, such as robbery, can be convicted of capital murder. As he was with the actual shooter, he is guilty as an accessory to the crime. You and your family can pool together a lot of money to hire and proceed with appeals of the case, but honestly, there is probably little chance of success. Consult with a lawyer who practices in this specialized area of the law and he should give you a frank opinion of such an appeal's success rate.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 2/8/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    Felony murder permits a guilty finding of murder, when a person is involved in the commission of a felony, which results in another person's death, even though the killing wasn't specifically intended. Often codefendants sentences are radically different, when a person makes a plea bargain, and another person goes to trial. The idea behind a plea bargain is to negotiate the bargain of a lesser sentence or perhaps a lesser charge, instead of risking a guilty finding with separate sentences on all the charges.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 2/8/2013
    Jared Austin | Austin Legal Services, PLC
    909 N. Washington Ave.
    Lansing, MI 48906
    (517) 614-1983
    If he still has time to appeal you need to look at that option, either going with a court-appointed appellate attorney or hire your own appeals lawyer. Keep in mind that appeals are costly both in terms of time and money as transcripts and filing fees and the initial amount of time just to sift through the case file will take quite some time, especially for a murder trial. Be prepared to spend several thousand dollars, at least, if you retain a private attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 2/8/2013
    Jared Eisenstat | The Law Office of Jared Eisenstat
    5222 East Los Altos Plaza
    Long Beach, CA 90815
    (562) 415-8369
    You need to hire an attorney such as myself who can either file an appeal or if the appeal process has ended a writ of Habeus Corpus.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/8/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.