Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How can I get some insight on where I stand on drug charges?

I lost my job 03/12. I have a small child and I got desperate and start selling weed to make some cash to get by. I was only doing so for 4 weeks until I got caught for selling to an under cover cop 3 times. The first time 1oz, 2nd time 1oz and half other kind and 3rd was 2oz. I drove to him every time and on the 3rd time he wanted me to meet him at a certain place. I live in a different city but in the same county and that city I sold to him every time I went that city. After I sold to him, 30 minutes later they came in full swat team style on me. I was with my girlfriend at a diner about to eat when they stormed in. It was quite embarrassing. They did a search warrant which I told the officer you'll only find 2oz and that's it, which they did. I've never been in trouble before, not even in my younger years, most was speeding tickets. I've never been to jail until now. I don't even do it myself, let alone know people that do. With that said, I posted an ad on craigslist. One thing led to another and I got caught etc. I was locked up for 12 hours. That was enough and I learned from that. I got out on OR. I did what I was supposed to and went to 2 court dates then they discharged me. I lost my place to live over this and was homeless for 6 months. I changed it at the post office to forward my mail to my sisters and eventually started living there as well which I got all my other mail. I also gave the OR officer my new address (sisters). At the time of the last court date they dropped two charges. I am again unemployed still so today I called to get a new replacement ebt food stamp card. I lost my wallet last week only to find they stopped my benefits because I have a warrant out for me for failure to appear which I was never notified of. My court date was 12/6/12. As of 12/1/12 I had moved to my new place but I did not have time to change my address/mailing address. Everything still goes my sisters. I was still there and was thinking there was no way that if they did send a letter to inform me about the court date unless it was lost or they never sent it.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    You either need to get in contact with your lawyer or hire a new lawyer and get back in court.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/12/2013
    Terry Nelson | Nelson & Lawless
    2134 Main St., #130
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648
    (714) 960-7584
    Insight I don't know what you mean by they discharged me , and you don't either apparently. If all the charges had been dismissed, you wouldn't be in this trouble today. They obviously weren't. There is no mystery here. You face whatever criminal charges the DA actually filed, and now you have to deal with the screw up of your failure to appear leading to your arrest warrant. Now, to handle a warrant, you must turn yourself in to the issuing court, with or without an attorney. On felony charges, the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. On misdemeanors and infractions, an attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present which is safer and avoids immediately being taken into custody. You'll try to negotiate a recall of the warrant[s] and bail reduction or OR release. You'll try to negotiate a plea bargain on any Failure to Appear charge or probation violation that caused the warrant. You'll try to negotiate a plea bargain or take to trial the outstanding charge that caused the warrant. While this isn't a 'capital case', you now face potential jail and fines, so handle it right. Effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, and may enable you to get your probation and programs reinstated. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can. You'll tell him your tale, and follow his advice on how to present your case and defenses.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/11/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.