Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How can I get my license back after a DUI charge?

When I got pulled over and later charged with a DUI, the officer took my license. I meant to ask at the police station but there was a lot going on. What happens now? Will it be mailed to me or do I have to go pick it up from somewhere? Any idea how long it'll take for me to get it back?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    74-075 El Paseo, Suite A-14
    Palm Desert, CA 92260
    (760) 779-9666
    You should have receive a pink paper explaining it to you which also serves as a temporary license. You will not get your hard license back until you complete a suspension imposed by DMV if .08 or above, and by the court if convicted of a DUI.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/20/2013
    Charles M. Schiff | Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    925 South First Street
    St Cloud, MN 56301
    (320) 259-0699
    Driver's License issues are handled by the Department of Public Safety, Drivers and Vehicle Services Division. The police officer does not actually revoke your driving privileges. The police officer certifies to the DPS that you failed a test for blood alcohol concentration. The DPS takes over from there. The actual license is meaningless until the DPS determines that it is again legal for you to drive. You should receive a notice from DPS telling you what you need to do to get your driving privileges reinstated.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota - Replied: 1/16/2013
    Scott L. Anderson | Anderson Law Office
    4101 Sunset Rd
    Brooklyn Park, MN 55443
    (763) 422-8664
    In MN if you test .08 or more your license will be revoked and you must complete several steps to get your license reinstated. You should contact an attorney asap to discuss your case and your dl.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota - Replied: 1/15/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    In Michigan they give you piece of paper that acts as your license until after the case is closed. Then you end up with a new one from the DMV unless they revoke it.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/15/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    I am assuming that you are in California. When your license was taken by the police, you should have been given a pink piece of paper which is a temporary license valid for 30 days from the date your license was taken. After the 30 day period expires, your license is suspended by DMV. If you wish to contest the suspension, you have 10 days from the date you received the temporary license to request a hearing before the DMV. The amount of time of the suspension will depend on whether this was your 1st DUI or if you have had other DUIs within the past 10 years. You will not get your license back until the suspension period is over and then you must apply to DMV for reinstatement of your license. You may qualify for a restricted license for driving to and from work and school after a portion of the suspension has been served, but you will have to apply to DMV for it.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/15/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.