Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

How can I appeal a sentence for a shoplifting charge?

I was convicted of shoplifting. My co-defendant was also convicted. She also has prior arrests. Our charges were similar except she received 120 days and I received 60 days. I appealed the 60 days due to being disabled and asked to be put on house arrest for the 60 days. This angered the judge so much that I had to get notes, meds and reasons why they could not take care of me in jail. I am terminal. I use oxygen and a cpap machine. I have numerous medical problems which would have been worse due to the lack of care I would have received. I have no criminal nor other previous trouble. The judge has given me rather than 60 days monitored house arrest, 2 years house arrest, 3 years probation and about $5000.00 in fines. Meanwhile my friend or thought to be friend received 120 days, 2 days a month community service and about $2000.00 in fines. I believe I am receiving the harshest punishment due to being disabled. Also I probably will die while trying to fulfill this sentence. Is there any hope of retrying to give me a 60 day house arrest rather than 60 days in county jail? And why did everything else change about the punishment? I have no problem with my sentence except the 60 days. I feel like the judge thinks my disability is not true and I am being punished for this! Can anyone help please. I have never been in any trouble before this. I am 55 years old and I messed up by being in the wrong place with the wrong person. I do get the crime, I just do not get the harsh sentence when I asked for house arrest instead of 60 days in the jail. Please help, someone please, I am not a criminal and I did a stupid thing but a 5 year sentence and $5000.00 fine, shoplifter course, weekly trip to probation and every doctor and pharmacy trip has to be granted so if this officer feels like it he could do real damage by not letting me see my doctors or get my meds oxygen and walker use.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    R. Jason de Groot | R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    Deltona, FL 32728-5775
    (386) 337-8239
    This is the sort of thing that happens to people when they do not hire private criminal defense counsel. You say you have already appealed. The sentence does not appear to be legal, but it will require that you hire an attorney to get anything done at this stage.
    Answer Applies to: Florida - Replied: 5/21/2014
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.