Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Does my friend need an attorney for a prelimary hearing against her attacker?

My friend was attacked walking down the street and they got the guy. Turns out she wasn't the first girl he attacked. So her and another one of the girls go to court next week for some sort of preliminary hearing against the guy. Should she have a lawyer for that or how does it work? She's nervous to see him again and worried that some of his friends might be there and threaten her.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    Usually, the prosecutor is on her side and that office may have a crime victims rights unit. If so, contact that office. They could appear in court with her.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/16/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    No she is a witness and the prosecutor will be there on her behalf.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/11/2013
    Darrell B. Reynolds | Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C.
    2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Suite D
    Decatur, GA 30033
    (404) 636-6616
    If your friend is not charged with a crime she does not need an attorney for a preliminary hearing. However, if she is the victim of a crime she may want to considering bring a civil action, seeking money damages against the party(ies) responsible for her damages as a result of the incident.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 3/11/2013
    Jared Austin | Austin Legal Services, PLC
    909 N. Washington Ave.
    Lansing, MI 48906
    (517) 614-1983
    If she is a victim of a crime, then the prosecutor will be there for her. She is always free to have her own attorney there with her and while some victims do, most do not. Having her own privately retained attorney with her really isn't necessary unless she just wants him to be there.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/11/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    She does not need an attorney as she will technically be represented by the D.A.'s office. If she has any questions or concerns, she should talk to the D.A. handling the case.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/11/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.