Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Does the defendant have the right to see the evidence in his case?

I want to see everything they "have against me". How do I go about doing that? Isn't that my constitutional right to see it all so I can best defend myself?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    Not necessarily. Some cases involve so much evidence, that it is impossible to examine it all before you must make a decision about a plea bargain or trial. Ultimately what you need to know is whether the prosecution has enough evidence to possibly convince a jury of your guilt, and so that you can evaluate whether a plea offer is really a bargain or not. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 3/15/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Yes it is constitutional that you have a right to see all the evidence. We are not a police state.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/14/2013
    Laurie Schmidt | Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt, P.C.
    Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt, P.C.
    Denver, CO 80203
    (303) 747-4686
    In Colorado, discovery rules are found in Colorado Rules of Criminal Procedure -Rule 16. You are entitled to certain information. If you are being represented by an attorney, he/she should have access to discovery, if you are representing yourself (think about hiring an attorney) you must work with the district attorney or prosecuting agency to obtain the discovery. Depending on the nature of the items requested, a formal motion may be necessary.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado - Replied: 3/14/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    There is an old adage that states: "A person who represents himself has a fool for a client." With that being said, you must make an informal demand for discovery outlining exactly what you want or at least the categories that the items of discovery fall into. After that, if you do not receive the items of discovery you want, you have to file a formal motion with the court requesting an order that the D.A. provide you with the missing items or discovery. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/14/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    You do have rights under the Due Process Clause to be informed of the evidence against you. You need counsel to file a Motion for Discovery, in which case all evidence in the prosecutor's file will be tendered to your counsel and you and counsel can go through it and decide what to do with it, in a possible trial.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 3/14/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.