Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Do we have to attend a juvenile intake?

The police came to our door and asked us to sign a paper to meet with a juvenile intake specialist and answer questions. Must we attend this and should we have an attorney present?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Without knowing why they want juvenile intake, I can't answer this question. You have not told me everything.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/16/2014
    Eric Sterkenburg | Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
    16478 Beach Boulevard, No. 329
    Westminster, CA 92683
    (562) 477-6940
    You and your child are required to go to the juvenile intake conference. Court intake service conference is; a. Where the juvenile is diverted to a court intake service conference, notices of the conference shall be sent to the juvenile and his parents or guardian and to the complainant or victim. The parties may be requested to bring to the conference all pertinent documents in their possession, including medical, social, and school records. b. In determining the appropriate resolution of a complaint, the following factors are considered by court intake services: (1) The seriousness of the alleged offense or conduct and the circumstances in which it occurred; (2) The age and maturity of the juvenile; (3) The risk that the juvenile presents as a substantial danger to others; (4) The family circumstances, including any history of drugs, alcohol abuse or child abuse on the part of the juvenile, his parents or guardian; (5) The nature and number of contacts with court intake services and the court that the juvenile and his family have had; (6) The outcome of those contacts, including the services to which the juvenile or family have been referred and the results of those referrals; (7) The availability of appropriate services; (8) Any recommendations expressed by the victim or complainant, or arresting officer, as to how the case should be disposed; (9) Whether diversion can be accomplished in a manner that holds the juvenile accountable for the conduct; (10) The impact of the offense on the victim or victims; (11) The impact of the offense on the community; and (12) Any information relevant to the offense in any case where the juvenile is charged with an act, which if committed by an adult would constitute prostitution in violation of any offense, which the juvenile alleges is related to the juvenile, being a victim of human trafficking. c. Each juvenile shall be reviewed without a presumption of guilt. The intake conference shall be concerned primarily with providing balanced attention to the protection of the community, the imposition of accountability for offenses committed, fostering interaction, and dialogue between the offender, victim and community and the development of competencies to enable the juvenile offender to become a responsible and productive member of the community. In addition, the conference shall be concerned with preventing more serious future misconduct by the juvenile offender by obtaining the cooperation of the juvenile and his parents or guardian in complying with its recommendations. The court may schedule a hearing where the complainant or victim objects to the recommendations from the conference. d. The resolution from the conference may include but shall not be limited to counseling, restitution, referral to appropriate community agencies, or any other community work programs or other conditions consistent with diversion that aids in providing balanced attention to the protection of the community, the imposition of accountability for offenses committed, fostering interaction and dialogue between the offender, victim and community and the development of competencies to enable the juvenile offender to become a responsible and productive member of the community, provided that: (1) Obligations imposed because of the intake conference shall be an order of the court approved by the presiding judge and shall be set forth in writing and may not exceed six months. The juvenile and his or her parents or guardian shall receive copies, as shall any agencies providing services under the agreement; (2) The court intake service worker shall inform the juvenile and the juvenile's parents or guardian in writing of their right to object at any time prior to their written agreement to the facts or terms of the intake conference decision, and if objections arise, the intake service worker may alter the terms of the proposed agreement or refer the matter to the presiding judge who shall determine if the complaint will be heard in court or returned to intake conference for further action; (3) Written agreement pursuant to intake conferences may be terminated at any time upon the request of the juvenile and the matter referred to the presiding judge; (4) The court intake services conference may not order the confinement of a juvenile, place a juvenile on probation, or remove a juvenile from his family as a disposition; and (5) If, at any time during the diversion period, the court intake service worker determines that the obligations imposed under the written agreement are not being met, the intake worker shall notify the presiding judge in writing. In the case of failure to comply with the obligations imposed under the agreement by the parents or guardian, the court may proceed against such persons for enforcement of the agreement. In the case of failure to comply by the juvenile, the matter shall be referred to the court for action. e. At the end of the diversion period a second court intake services conference may be held with all parties to the written agreement present to ascertain if the terms of the agreement have been fulfilled. If all conditions have been met, the intake worker shall so inform the presiding judge in writing who shall order the complaint dismissed. A copy of the order dismissing the complaint shall be sent to the juvenile. If the conditions of the written agreement have not been met, the intake worker may refer the matter to the presiding judge who shall determine if the complaint will be heard in court or returned to court intake services for further action. Based on the evaluations required under this subsection, the intake conference agreement may be extended beyond the six-month maximum if all parties agree. In no case shall an intake conference agreement exceed nine months. Your child?s rights include Children have the right to remain silent. Many people, both children and adults, are convicted because of what they say to police. Law officers can, and do, lie when questioning suspects. There is no right to bail in a juvenile hearing. Even if a parent wants to post bail for his or her child, the law does not permit it. A child may be released into your custody. The decision is up to the police and the probation officer, with the presiding judge having the final say. Any child under 18 years old must be housed in juvenile hall and not housed with adults. (Welfare and Institutions Code section 207.1) A child has the right to an attorney. (IN RE ANN S. [1982] 137 Cal. App. 3d 38) Furthermore, it is up to the child?s parents to select which lawyer to use. Unless a child is tried for certain serious felonies as an adult, he or she has no right to a jury trial. (IN RE JAVIER A. [1984] 159 Cal. App. 3d 913) Only a judge may force a parent to answer questions about a child. When in doubt, request to speak with your attorney. Generally the court clerk or the probation officer must notify the parents of all court hearings. The parent should contact the child?s attorney or juvenile court and the probation office and to make sure they have your address and phone number. Parents have a duty to ask the court to seal their children?s records so they will not be made public and follow them for the rest of their lives. Minors arrested and charged with crimes have the right to have that information kept from the public and the media. Except in exceptional incidents where a minor is tried as an adult, all records relating to a child?s contacts with police, probation reports, and all informal juvenile matters are confidential. (LORENZO P. V. SUPERIOR COURT [1988] 197 Cal. App. 3d 607)
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/15/2014
    Steve Freeborn | Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    33400 9th Avenue S. Suite 208
    Federal Way, WA 98003
    (253) 838-4477
    Since you tell me absolutely nothing about what the intake is for and what the charges are... I have no idea. It may be a good idea to consult with an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 4/14/2014
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    Your juvenile is in trouble and has been released to your custody. If you fail to meet with the officer, then your juvenile will be taken into custody, because you are not fulfilling your part of the bond conditions. Whether or not you should have an attorney is not important, because you do not intend to retain an attorney. When the juvenile first got in trouble you should have retained an attorney. When you first learned that the police were involved, you should have retained an attorney. I suspect there is no money. So, please do not talk about attorneys now.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 4/14/2014
    Jason Savela | Connell-Savela
    250 Arapahoe Avenue, Suite 301
    Boulder, CO 80302
    (303) 865-4545
    It is always good to have an attorney if you can but if there is a subpoena or other court order to attend, you must go.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado - Replied: 4/14/2014
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.