Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Do Treatment Programs Help Mitigate Drug-Related Charges?

If I am caught with a schedule 1 drug (marijuana), and opt to put myself through a treatment program to aid in my rehabilitation, as per court request, will this in any way mitigate my charge?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Kate L. Mesic | Law Offices of Kate Mesic, PA
    1912 Hamilton Street, Suite 204
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    (904) 388-4030
    It depends on the case and on the court you are in, generally when someone shows interest in taking responsibility and going into treatment on their own, the Courts look favorably upon these suggestions. In terms of mitigation of charges, it is up to the State to decide what charges are brought against you. I would suggest you speak with a criminal defense attorney who can help you defend your case and understand your options.
    Answer Applies to: Florida - Replied: 4/11/2013
    R. Jason de Groot | R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    Deltona, FL 32728-5775
    (386) 337-8239
    This depends upon the judge. If going into a treatment facility can be used to lessen a jail sentence in a DUI case, it should be the same for a drug charge.
    Answer Applies to: Florida - Replied: 4/10/2013
    Maurice Ross | Barton Barton & Plotkin
    420 Lexington Avenue
    New York, NY 10170
    (973) 896-7190
    Often your participation in a treatment program will be looked upon favorably the Court and prosecution when they consider what plea bargain to offer. But you should not be handling such a negotiation without criminal defense counsel. It is very important to retain criminal defense counsel in a situation like this.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 4/10/2013
    Joel M. Lutwin | Lutwin & Lutwin, LLP
    401 Broadway
    New York, NY 10013
    (212) 431-5757
    Yes, a diversionary program should be available to you which would mitigate the charges.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 4/10/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.