Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Do misdemeanors show up on background checks?

I have to get a background check for a job I'm applying for. I have two misdemeanors from a few years ago. Will they show up? Can I ever get those off my record. Both were for stealing under $100.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    They do.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 3/10/2013
    B. Elaine Jones | The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    P.O. Box 2664, Brandon
    Brandon, FL 33509
    (813) 681-8383
    You need to retain an attorney and either have your record sealed or expunged depending upon the circumstances of the disposition of your case. Whether it was dismissed or adjudication withheld. If your charges did not result in a withhold of adjudication you will not be able to do anything about it.
    Answer Applies to: Florida - Replied: 3/8/2013
    Anderson Walsh PLLC
    COEUR D ALENE, ID 83814
    (208) 665-5658
    The answer is yes - your misdemeanors will most likely show up on your background check. What you describe as theft charges under $100 are petty theft charges here in Idaho. Theft charges will in many instances disqualify you from consideration for a new job. You should contact a competent criminal defense attorney to see if you have a good chance at getting those charges sealed or expunged off of your record. As we live in the information age and everything is stored on a computer anymore, it can be a long and difficult process. But, if you can get a better job, it will be worth it to you.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho - Replied: 3/8/2013
    R. Jason de Groot | R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    Deltona, FL 32728-5775
    (386) 337-8239
    Yes, they will show up on a background check. You may be able to get one of them sealed and later expunged. Consult with a local attorney about this.
    Answer Applies to: Florida - Replied: 3/8/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.