Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Do I need an attorney for shoplifting charge?

Im so dumb and stole some things at the mall. The total that the stolen stuff was worth was only like 150 dollars. We got busted by some secret shopper person and now I gotta appear in court. Do I need an attorney for this?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Joe Dane | Law Office of Joe Dane
    850 E. Chapman Ave., Ste. C
    Orange, CA 92866
    (714) 532-3600
    You're looking at theft charges that can land you in jail, on probation and with a theft conviction on your record indefinitely. Yes, you absolutely need a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/8/2013
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    You have committed a crime that could get you a year in jail, three years probation, and a criminal record for life for a bunch of stuff you don't even need. You don't even realize that you need a lawyer and that if you are indigent, and I think that is likely, that the judge will appoint one for you. What you do not know can hurt you in life and you do not know a lot. I advise you to make better decisions in the future and get a good education or you are going to have a very rough life.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/7/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Yes you do since that person may be able to work out a deal where you end up with no permanent criminal record. What employer wants to hire a thief?
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 2/7/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Depending on the amount allegedly stolen and the jurisdiction where the event occurred, shoplifting can be met with a mere citation (infraction), or charged as a misdemeanor or even a felony, with possible jail sentences of 6 months to 3 years. It will be up to the D.A. to determine how the crime will be charged. I suggest that you hire an attorney to help you negotiate the best deal possible.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/6/2013
    Patrick Owen Earl | Patrick Earl Attorney
    1334 S. Pioneer Way
    Moses Lake, WA 98837
    (509) 750-9921
    Yes you need an attorney. One to see if the State actually has the necessary testimony/witnesses to win at trial and two, to try and keep it off your record. Get an attorney now. If this is a WA state case and it is in Eastern WA contact me. I can help.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 2/6/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4 5 6
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.