Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Do I need an attorney for a first time marijuana possession charge?

During traffic stop I had a few grams on me, definitely less than an oz. Should I just use a public defender since it was less than an oz?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    You can get an ACD even with a public defender for a first offense. You should be careful not to have pot in a car or in your pocket since another arrest may result in a criminal conviction.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/16/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Either the public defender or a retained lawyer should be able to work out something where you end up with no conviction for the drugs.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 2/16/2013
    Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    74-075 El Paseo, Suite A-14
    Palm Desert, CA 92260
    (760) 779-9666
    Depends upon whether you have a defense. It's a minor charge with only a fine if convicted, but it will be on your record. If it was a traffic stop, there may be an illegal search issue, it would be wise to contact an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/10/2013
    Joe Dane | Law Office of Joe Dane
    850 E. Chapman Ave., Ste. C
    Orange, CA 92866
    (714) 532-3600
    If this is from California, then possession of less than an ounce is an infraction, so you wouldn't be entitled to a public defender. You can hire your own attorney, but you can't get one appointed. If this is charged as a misdemeanor because it was in a car, then yes, you can request a public defender if you financially qualify.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/8/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    If the court will appoint a public defender, because you are too poor to hire a private attorney, go for it.but In any case, being represented by an attorney is recommended, ad jail time is always a possibility, along with a permanent criminal record which will affect you for the rest of your life.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 2/8/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.