Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Do I need an attorney for a domestic violence charge?

I am hoping that my wife and I can work things out between now and court. I think that she is still just feeling a bit emotional after our argument. She told police and her mother that I had put my hands on her and shoved her into the wall, which isn't true.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Dennis John Woods | Dennis John Woods, Attorney at Law
    2479 Astoria Blvd.
    Canton, MI 48188
    (734) 340-3630
    Absolutely! What generally happens with such a charge is that the prosecutor lets you plead guilty wth very little penalty. That sets you up for a serious fall if you're ever charged with a second. Let the attorney make a deal for a lesser offense.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/24/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Yes you need an attorney so that they can help you decide on the proper course of action. You may want to go to trial or to work out something.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/20/2013
    Timothy J. Klisz | Klisz Law Office, PLLC
    39111 W. Six Mile Rd.
    Livonia, MI 48152
    (313) 402-0853
    Yes you certainly do. These are treated very harshly without proper counsel. Hire a local attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/19/2013
    Jared Austin | Austin Legal Services, PLC
    909 N. Washington Ave.
    Lansing, MI 48906
    (517) 614-1983
    It would be a good idea to get an attorney, just it case it's not resolved and goes to trial. Even a misdemeanor trial is too complex to risk doing it yourself.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/19/2013
    Steven Dodge | Steven Dodge
    7960 W. Grand River Ave.
    Brighton, MI 48114
    (810) 220-3916
    It is unlikely that the prosecuting attorney will dismiss their case against you even if your wife has a change of heart. Therefore, if you do not retain counsel, you will be moving through the criminal justice system without having any experience or professional advice to help. Your permanent record, gun rights, and liberty will be at risk during this process. Given all this, it is your best bet to have an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/19/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.