Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can you get charged with resisting arrest if you were never told you were under arrest to begin with?

Essentially I tried to get away from a police officer b/c I didn't know that I was under arrest. He asked me a few questions and I decided i didn't want to answer more so I turned to leave and he grabbed my arm. I yanked it away and the other officer came over and cuffed me.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Maurice Ross | Barton Barton & Plotkin
    420 Lexington Avenue
    New York, NY 10170
    (973) 896-7190
    This officer behaved badly. You were free to stop answering his questions and leave unless he had another basis for holding you. You should get a lawyer because your civil rights may have been violated.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 9/2/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Why did he question you? Why did he grab you? I need more details.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 8/31/2013
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    You can be charged with resisting arrest as well as any other charges, but they should have had a valid reason to stop you, question you, and arrest you or the DA will probably dismiss the case. Retain a good lawyer to handle the case.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 8/30/2013
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    If the officer was in uniform and put his hands on you, you were detained. When you pulled away, you were resisting.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 8/30/2013
    Jeff Yeh | Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1110
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 446-2495
    Yes. They don't have to tell you they are arresting you.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 8/30/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.