Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can you change your plea before sentencing?

Can you change a plea of guilty to not guilty before sentencing if you retain legal counsel instead of a court appointed public defender?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    Depends on what was said during the guilty plea.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 2/28/2014
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Possibly. It will be up to the judge and the reason given for changing your plea.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/24/2014
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    You can change your plea in either case but you have to have a good reason to do so or the judge will not allow it.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 2/24/2014
    Charles M. Schiff | Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    925 South First Street
    St Cloud, MN 56301
    (320) 259-0699
    It is easier to withdraw a plea before sentencing but you do not have an absolute right to do so. Having retained private counsel may be sufficient for the court but the sooner you announce your intention the better.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota - Replied: 2/24/2014
    Maurice Ross | Barton Barton & Plotkin
    420 Lexington Avenue
    New York, NY 10170
    (973) 896-7190
    Probably not. If you have moved to the sentencing phase, you have already entered your plea.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/24/2014
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.