Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can you be taxed on a settlement that was appointed in court?

I recently won a case against a small company, which in turn granted me a small sum of money. I would like to know if I will be taxed on that appointed money. The money was given due to injuries I received after being tackled by security, during a wrongful accusation of shoplifting sustained at the company, leading me to believe that it should not be touched by anyone other than myself? Is this the case?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    Pain and suffering is tax free. Other things like loss of income are taxable.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 8/12/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.