Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can you be charged for refusing to talk to police?

I got a phone call from the police department saying they wanted to talk to me about an incident that occurred in my neighborhood. I told them I didn't know anything and they insisted that I come in to make a statement. I tried to say no and they said if I don't they'll have to arrest me. What do I do? I'm worried that I might say the wrong thing and someone I know will go to jail.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Sarkis Jacob Babachanian | Babachanian | Law
    3460 Ocean View Boulevard
    Glendale, CA 91208-3311
    (818) 500-0678
    If you're in the LA area, I may be able to help. In the meanwhile, don't talk to ANYONE about this anymore - other than your lawyer, of course; accused people often find that their innocent words are turned against them.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/11/2013
    Michael Thomas Lynch | LynchLaw
    1400 N. Dutton Ave Ste 21
    Santa Rosa, CA 95401
    (707) 523-2223
    You never have a duty to speak with the police. In fact, volunteering to speak with the police, regardless of the facts, is a very bad mistake. Always politely decline to take to the police. If your lawyer wants you to speak to the police, make sure your lawyer is present during that conversation.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/11/2013
    Terry Nelson | Nelson & Lawless
    2134 Main St., #130
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648
    (714) 960-7584
    Can you be charged for refusing to talk to police? No. You have a 5th Amendment right to remain silent. But, you can be charged with whatever crime they think they can prove without your statement or confession. A little free advice: exercise the 5th Amendment right to SHUT UP and do NOT talk to police or anyone about the case except with and through an attorney. When questioned, arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a test, search or statement be used against you, can you be convicted, and what can you do? No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or elsewhere are going to effectively help in a legal defense. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney who does, who will try to get a dismissal, charge reduction, diversion, programs, or other decent outcome through motions, plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/9/2013
    Mark A. Broughton | Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    2445 Capital Street
    Fresno, CA 93721
    (559) 233-5333
    They want you to come down to the police station so they can get a statement from you...and in all probability, then arrest you. You are doing the right thing in not giving a statement -without your attorney present - especially if you are implicated at all in the incident they are investigating. If they wanted to talk to you as a witness they would make it easy on you and come to your house to talk to you. Regardless, do not make any statement to them without your attorney present.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/9/2013
    Peter Goldscheider | Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    438 Cambridge Ave. Suite 250
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (650) 323-8296
    If they believe they have probable cause to arrest you they will with or without a statement. Not making a statement alone is not a grounds for arrest and I would urge you not to do so without contacting and retaining an attorney who can advise you further and possibly contact the police on your behalf.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/9/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.