Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can text messages be used to prove I did not rape a girl?

I had been seeing this girl that I met through a friend for a while. She used to send me a lot of dirty text messages, naked pictures, telling me how much she wanted me. She asked me to delete the texts, and I told her I did, but I actually didn't. Her and I slept together, and the next morning she was accusing me of rape. I was arrested, and now I'm facing rape charges. Can I show the judge or court the text messages as evidence that I didn't rape her?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    If she was under 16 you are guilty of statutory rape. If she is over 17 it is your word against hers and the texts may be relevant. Retain a good criminal lawyer to handle the case.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 4/10/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Yes they can be used by your attorney in order to rebut the contention that she did not consent.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/7/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    May be and then again maybe not. Whether evidence is admissible, and whether it persuades a judge or jewelry that an element of an offense does not exist are two separate matters. Also what might be persuasive to you might not be persuasive to the people deciding. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 4/5/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    Prior statements may be used to impeach a witness. You will need tha assistance of an attorney in the proper prsentation and preservation of such communications.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/4/2013
    James A Schoenberger | Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    1008 Yakima Ave Ste 201
    Tacoma, WA 98405
    (253) 444-3111
    Yes, they represent evidence of consent. Unless she was underage and not capable under the law of consent.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 4/4/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4 5
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.