Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can the spouse of a felon own a gun?

My husband was charged with a felony a few years ago and lately I've been reading stuff on the internet about how felons can't own guns or live with someone who owns a gun. I've owned this gun since before I met him. It is legal and I have a FOID card. What should I do with it?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    If he was convicted of a crime and does not have his gun rights restored then the spouse can own a gun and have it there; he just can't live there.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/12/2013
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    If you have a gun in the house or car and the police find it they will charge him with constructive possession and he will probably get another prison term unless he wins the trial. Most prosecutors will not reduce a gun charge for a convicted felon and he will do 3 1/2 years in New York as a minimum.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 3/7/2013
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    Probably not. If the spouse cannot secure weapon, such that the felon has no access to it, then the felon will probably be arrested.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 3/6/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    Get rid of the gun. What you may do is place the gun with a relative for safekeeping, or rent a storage unit to keep the gun there. In no case, should you have that gun in the same residence as your husband, if he was convicted of the felony. If just charged and the felony was dismissed, you may keep the gun in the house.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 3/6/2013
    Eric Sterkenburg | Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
    16478 Beach Boulevard, No. 329
    Westminster, CA 92683
    (562) 477-6940
    The best thing to do with the gun is to rent a locker at a gun club or shooting range and keep the gun there.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/6/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.