Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can the police charge you with evidence later on after they left and did not arrest you?

The left and they didn't arrest me or charge me with anything to begin with. Also, can you get a conviction over turned years later pro bono?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John Danelon | Ellis & Abouelsood
    535 Main Street #305
    Martinez, CA 94553
    (925) 726-4529
    You can be charged even if you were not arrested because the district attorney,not the police, is always the person who determines whether the evidence supports the charges to be brought. There are many law firms which will take a case pro bono if they feel that justice was not served, but it depends on the actual firm.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 8/16/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Yes if they later get enough evidence they can charge you. Pro Bono? Not likely. That is asking a lawyer to work for free.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 8/16/2013
    John Toivonen | Toivonen Law Office
    PO Box 15174
    Lansing, MI 48933
    (517) 402-5229
    The police can gather evidence later in the case. As to getting a conviction overturned, contact the Michigan State Appellate Defender's Office.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 8/15/2013
    Russell A. Warren | Law Office of Russell A. Warren
    1221 Locust St. Suite 1000
    St. Louis, MO 63103
    (314) 910-1181
    Yes the police can charge you later. Many times they will mail you a ticket or summons after they have had a chance to review the evidence. This also frequently occurs when evidence is sent to the prosecuting attorney and they "take it under advisement" while deciding to issue charges. Overturning a charge or conviction is call an "Expungement". You would have to have an attorney review the State Statute that would apply to you and the type of charge your are referring to to see if you are eligible or not. Usually these type of cases require an attorney one would not be provided to you "pro bono" for something like this. It may be possible for you to file a petition yourself in you local court but most judges would not advise it and recommend that you retain Counsel to do this for you.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri - Replied: 8/15/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.