Submit ZIP Code

Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can police arrest a child at school without notifying the parent?

My son got arrested at school today after the vice principal found drugs in a student's locker. They didn't find anything in my son's locker, but the student with the drugs said he'd got them from my son, so the police came and arrested both of them. The school didn't notify me they was calling the police until after they'd came and taken him to the police station in handcuffs. How are they even allowed to do this?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Craig Andersen | Andersen Law PLLC
    10000 NE 7th Ave Suite 330B
    Vancouver, WA 98685
    (360) 397-0111
    Yes a juvenile over the age of ten may be arrested without parental involvement.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 1/9/2013
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    Is your child 17? If so, then he is an adult in GA and most states. So, the parents do not need to be called. IF he is under 17, you only need be called after the child is in custody.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 1/9/2013
    Cynthia Henley | Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    7626 E. Jordan Cove
    Houston, TX 77055-5053
    (713) 222-1220
    There is no requirement you be notified by the school, and police must notify you only after he is arrested and taken before a magistrate. He needs a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 1/9/2013
    Jeff Yeh | Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1110
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 446-2495
    Of course he can. Just imagine if your child just shot 20 people, you think the cop would still need your permission to arrest?
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/9/2013
    Landon Ascheman | Ascheman & Smith
    500 LAUREL AVE
    SAINT PAUL, MN 55102
    (612) 217-0077
    Your son was accused of committing a crime. The police officers arrested him because they suspected he committed a crime. Now you need to contact a criminal defense attorney in your area as soon as possible. I would suggest finding an attorney that handles both drug cases and juvenile cases.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota - Replied: 1/9/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.