Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can a person who has already served 25 years of a sentence and has been denied appeals ever be released if they are actually innocent?

My friend has served 25 years as of today for a crime that someone tried to place him at. During court proceedings evidence showed that he was not at the scene nor was there any evidence showing he committed those crimes. He had solid alibis including an out of state arrest report but was still convicted as a co-defendant, if that's the right title. So every appeal he has made has been denied because it was said to be such a heinous crime. I have a brief that was put together by a possible jailhouse attorney that states the facts and the trial. During this process so far in my reading his 6th and 14th amendments rights are continuously violated. He has been denied appeals, there has been unreliable witness testimony and promises made by the prosecution for witness immunity and financial support. Is there someone who can take a look at the copy of the brief/writ that I have obtained and maybe help overturn this jury's decision or get a new trial? That whole trial was diluted and if I could get some assistance/representation for him from a defense lawyer, attorney or student who may have some extra time to volunteer or even a pay sliding scale we all just may be able to save this mans life. Thank you for taking the time and for your consideration in reading this! I will stay positive as he is, that good news will eventually come with this request that has his life at stake.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Peter Goldscheider | Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    438 Cambridge Ave. Suite 250
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (650) 323-8296
    As you already probably know after a judgment is final only a writ of habeas corpus can re-open the proceedings and that is usually when new evidence is uncovered. It is a very difficult course and takes great effort and time.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 6/3/2014
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    It is possible, but unlikely. Sometimes DNA can result in a reversal, but without more information I can't guess why the jury did not believe the defense.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 6/2/2014
    Ramona Hallam | Law Offices of Ramona Hallam
    P.O. Box 230411
    Encinitas, CA 92024
    (760) 212-9249
    The California Innocence Project does work like this on a regular basis if he is factually innocent.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 6/2/2014
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.